Monday, July 16, 2007

Today I Cried In Front of the Mail Carrier

I ripped open the registered letter and there it was - our adoption decree!

All of our children are now officially ours, in the eyes of the government and anyone else who cares to look.

There was no court date or meeting with a judge for us, no dressing up and no family pictures.
Just some innocuous looking 8x10 pieces of paper handed to me on my stoop, stuck in amongst my electric bill and a handbill for a golf club.

Still it was one of the most wonderful moments of my life.

Mine.
Mine.
Mine.
Mine.

It has been an eventful week already and we feel a bit at loose ends, all of us, because Bunny, our 13 year old was whisked off by her Nan and Grandad this morning to spend a week with them far away. Over eight hours by car.

There is panic and fear and feelings of loss and loneliness mixed in for the youngest children and maybe for some of us adults too.

Still and all we are happy, a very small celebration with a grocery store ice cream cake and sparkling juice in a fancy bottle, we will wait till Bunny comes home and we are all here to do more of the big celebrating.

Mine.

Ours, says Cabana Boy, dryly but firmly.

Yeah. Okay.
Ours.

Ours.
Ours.
Ours.
Ours.

12 comments:

ipodmomma said...

oh that is SO WONDERFUL!!!!!

so many congrats to you all...

and I hope the camping was good too...

Granny said...

Much good news around here.

First Bacchus, and now you.

Whoopee!!!

Gus&Otto said...

Whooo hoooo!!!! Yippeee!!!! Congratulations. What a great day, thanks to Canada Post!!!

I'm so happy for you.

Now you can do fun things with them legally - like fish, or fly on a plane both domestically or internationally.

FosterAbba said...

Congratulations!

Dawn said...

Congratulations! Why I think of when you were a mere family of four (sniff)! I'm so happy for you!

Bacchus said...

Congratulations!!!!!! I 'm so excited for you and your family. I have to say thank you for sharing your journey with us. I know having your blog helped me on our own journey.

Wishing happiness and health to all of you.

Jo said...

Congratulations! It seems like it has taken forever to get here. I cried too, when they said the boy was ours.

happyadoptingmom said...

Congratulations!!!! Getting the final papers is the BEST!!! Enjoy knowing they are yours forever.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to everyone in your family

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Congratulations! I am getting teary over here too.

FosterMommy said...

I'm so happy for you. Even though I know Squeak is mine (okay, ours...), I know that there will be such relief when the legal finalization happen.

I'm so happy you can let out that final stressful breath you were holding in.

Kurt P. Leffler said...

Fantastic! Woo Hoo!

After delivering bills and junk mail day after day, the mail carrier may have felt quite satisfied that he/she finally got to deliver some good news!