Tuesday, November 20, 2007

About a boy

Because I coudn't carry you when you were a tiny infant.
Because I wasn't there to wrap my arms around you and pick you up when you fell, or bumped your head or lost your favourite toy, or had a bad dream, or were sick or just felt sad or bad, or after you had a tantrum or just because we could...

I am trying to teach you now, what to do with a hug.
So I pull you against my chest and settle your head against my shoulder and wrap your unsure arms around my body, and then wrap them again and murmer right into your ear to leave those arms there and to try and squeeze me back a little.

Because you are "ALMOST TWELVE!!!"...
...I know you feel a little sheepish and unsure --
-but I can see in your eyes and feel through your backbone that you don't want me to stop trying
and sometimes
you give me a squeeze back or hang your arm around my waist, briefly and
I want you to know that
I NEVER WILL GIVE UP.

3 comments:

Bacchus said...

This was beautiful. Thank you for sharing this and now I'm going to go dry my eyes.

Heather said...

That brought a tear to my eye. You captured the moment so well.

Leanne Franson said...

This brought tears to my eyes.
And I actually learned to really hug, not just a quick strong bear hug, but a slow, feel it, relax into it, accept the caring hug, when I left home at 19 and got involved with women's groups and people who do massage and all that. It definitely can be a learned skill, and certainly able to learn it much older than 12! And once he's learned to accept the hugs, he'll be giving them out just as good himself "just like mom". ;D